Maggard Research Laboratory Group
Group Picture, November 2016
From L to R: Liwei Wang (visiting scientist), Feier Hou, Abigail Carbone (undergrad), Tara Janelli (undergrad), and Brandon Zoellner.
Biographies of Graduate Students
Brandon Zoellner (5th year)
Brandon is a native of Pinehurst, North Carolina. In 2011, he graduated with a Bachelor's of Science degree in chemistry at the College of Charleston in Charleston, South Carolina. After receiving his undergraduate degree, he worked in the research laboratory of Dr. Lavrich for a year on the synthesis of peptides. Brandon joined the chemistry graduate program at North Carolina State Univesity in the Fall of 2012 to begin his doctoral studies under the mentorship of Prof. Paul A. Maggard . His research project focuses on the synthesis of solid solutions of mixed-metal oxides in the tantalate and niobate systems, their structural characterization from powder X-ray diffraction refinements, electronic structure calculations, as well as characterization of their optical and photoelectrochemical properties.
Figure - Structural picture of CuNbO3 and UV-Vis diffuse reflectance data of a solid solution phase.
Poster presentation: 2017 NCSU Department of Chemistry Poster Session
• Graduate Student Award, 2017 NCSU Department of Chemistry, "Solar Energy Conversion Using P-Type Photocathodes: Applications of Cu(I)-Containing Semiconductors"
• Zoellner, B.; Gordon, E.; Maggard, P.A. "A small bandgap semiconductor, p-type MnV2O6, active for photocatalytic hydrogen and oxygen production " J. Mater. Chem. , 2017, Under revision.
• Sullivan, I.; Zoellner, B.; Maggard, P.A. "Copper(I)-based p-type oxides for photoelectrochemical and photovoltaic solar energy conversion (Review paper) " Chem. Mater., 2016, 8(17), 5999-6016.
• Boltersdorf, J.; Zoellner, B.; Fancher, C.; Jones, J.; Maggard, P.A. Single-metal and double-metal solid solutions in mixed-metal oxides: Closing the band energies around the water splitting redox couples " J. Phys. Chem. C, 2016, 120(34), 19175-19188.
• Boltersdorf, Sullivan, I.; Shelton, T.L.; Wu, Z.; Gray, M.; Zoellner, B.; Osterloh, F.E.; Maggard, P.A. "Flux synthesis, optical and photocatalytic properties of n-type Sn2TiO4: Hydrogen and oxygen evolution under visible light" Chem. Mater., 2016, 28(24), 8876-8889.
• Zoellner, B.; Stuart, S.; Ching-Chang, C.; Dougherty, D.; Jones, J.; Maggard, P.A. "CuNb(1-x)TaxO3 solid solution (x < 0.25): Impact of Ta(V) substitution on its structure and photoelectrochemical properties" J. Mater. Chem. A 2016, 4, 3115-3126.
• Skorupska, K.; Maggard, P.A.; Eichberger, R.; Schwarzburg, K.; Shahbazi, P.; Zoellner, B.; Parkinson, B.A. "Combinatorial investigations of high temperature CuNb oxide phases for photoelectrochemical water splitting " ACS Comb. Sci. 2015, 17, 742-751.
• Sahoo, P.P.; Zoellner, B. "Optical, electronic, and photoelectrochemical properties of the p-type Cu(3-x)VO4 semiconductor " J. Mater. Chem. A, 2015, 3, 4501-4509.
Former Group Members
Jonathan Boltersdorf, Ph.D. (2016), Army Research Offices, Washington, D.C.
Ian Sullivan, Ph.D. (2016), Ashwin-Ushas Corporation, Marlboro Township, NJ.
Zahirul Sohag, M.S. (2016), Exide Technologies, Atlanta, GA.
Nacole King, Ph.D. (2015), National Institute of Standards and Techonology, Gaithersburg, MD.
Lan Luo, Ph.D. (2015), M.S. (2013), Jordi Laboratories, Boston, MA.
Dr. Prangya Sahoo, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway.
Dr. Upendra Joshi, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX.
Kathryn Wilberding, M.S. (2014), R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, Winston Salem, NC.
Lindsay Fuoco, Ph.D. (2012), Harris Corporation, Salt Lake City, UT.
David Arney , Ph.D. (2011), Leadership Development Program at BASF, Research Triangle Park, NC.
Dr. Digamber Porob, General Electric - Global Research Center (Lead Scientist), Bangalore, India.
Olena and Andrij Palasyuk, M.S. (2011), Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
Dr. Bangbo Yan, Associate Professor, Western Kentucky University, Bowling Green, KY.
Haisheng Lin, Ph.D. (2009), Georgia Instiute of Techhnology, Atlanta, GA.
Dr. Junhua Luo, Fujian Institute on the Structure of Matter, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Fujian, China.