Prof. Orlando J. Rojas, Ph.D.
Department of Bioproducts and Biosystems, School of Chemical Engineering,
Aalto University, Finland
Chair of Aalto's Materials Platform
Adjunct Professor of Forest Biomaterials and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, NC State University, USA
Elected Fellow of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
Elected Foreign Member of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters
2013-2017 NC State Faculty Scholar
Finland Distinguish Professor, Aalto Universty
Past Chair, ACS Division of Cellulose & Renewable Materials
- Peer-reviewed Scientific Articles=260
- Invited Seminars and Talks Worldwide=220
- Short Courses to university and industry=41
- h-index=49 (GS with 10219 citations), 40 (WoS with 6507 citations)
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Auburn University, 1998
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes (Venezuela), 1993
- Dipl. Paper Engineering, Univ. Politecnica de Catalunya (Spain)
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes (Venezuela)
Scholarly and Professional Honors
- Associate Faculty, Dept. Applied Physics, Aalto University, 2016-
- Associate Faculty, Dept. Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., NC State, 2012-
- Sabbatical Visiting Professor, Aalto University, Espoo, Finland, 2012
- Visiting Professor, Polytecnic University of Catalunya, Spain, 2012
- Finland Distinguish Professor, Aalto University, Finland, 2009-
- Adjunct Professor, Univ. Federal do Amazones, Manaus, Brazil, 2009-
- Adjunct Professor, Fiber and Polymer Program, NC State, 2008-
- Senior Scientist, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 2002-2003
- Consultant in residence, Akzo Nobel Surface Chemistry, Stenungsund, Sweden, 2003
- Research Assistant, Chemical Engineering, Auburn University, 1997-1998
- Research Fellow, YKI, Inst. for Surface Chemistry, Stockholm, 1996-1997
- Assist. to Associate Prof. ranks, Chemical Engineering, ULA, Venezuela, 1993-2001
- Invited Professor, Univ. du Québec @ TR (Canada)-AVTCP (Venezuela), 2000-2001
- Instructor, Chemical Engineering, ULA, Venezuela, 1987-1990 Research Assistant, Organization of American States, Venezuela, 1986-1987
- Trainee Experience: Papelera Española, Spain; Rhône-Poulenc, Marietta, GA; Papeles Maracay, Venezuela; Venezuelan Petroleum, Institute, Venezuela
- Elected Fellow of the American Chemical Society, July 2013.
- Tappi Nanotechnology Award 2015
- Distinguish Professor, Finnish Academy & Finnish Funding Agency Technol. & Innovation, 2009-2014.
- NC State University Faculty Scholar, NC State, 2013-2017.
- Science Advisory Board Marrone BioInnovations, Davis, CA., 2014-
- Invited Panelist for "Cellulose Nanomaterials-A Path Towards Commercialization", National Nanotechnology Initiative and USDA Forest Service, May 20 -21, 2014.
- Organizer of NSF Pan-American Advanced Studies Institute: "Polymers and Composites from Renewable Resources", San Jose, Costa Rica, August 5-16, 2013.
- Co-chair of the 9th Tappi International Conference on Nanotechnology for Renewable Materials, 06/23 - 06/26/2014, Vancouver.
- National Academy of Sciences, Committee Assessing the Impact of Glycomics and Glycosciences, 2012.
- Invited panelist Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, OECD, Paris, 2009.
- American Chemical Society, Divisional Service Award 2009.
- Recognition as NC State Mentor of the Society of Hispanic Engineers, 2006.
- Lecturer recognition, American Chemical Society, NC Polymer Section, 2005.
- Recipient of the Internationalization Seed Grant "Surface and Colloid Science Research", 2005-2006.
- Faculty Research and Professional Development Award, NC State 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.
- Best Lecturer Brazilian Pulp and Paper Association, Sao Paulo, 2004.
- Fellow of the Swedish Science Foundation, 2001-2003.
- Fellow of the National Science Council, Venezuela, 1993-1996.
- Young Investigator Award, National Scientific and Technological Council, Venezuela, 1990-1993.
- Outstanding Research Award of the College of Engineering ULA, Venezuela, 1992.
- Merit Diploma from the Venezuelan Pulp and Paper Technical Association, Venezuela, Nov. 1990.
- Fellowship of the Organization of American States, Spain, 1985-86.
- Fellowship of the Institute for Ibero-American Cooperation, Spain, 1985.
- 2009- Professor, Dept. Forest Biomaterials and Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., North Carolina State University
- 2009- Finland Distinguish Professor, Dept. Bioproducts and Biosystems, Aalto University, Finland
- 2006- Associate Professor, Dept. Forest Biomaterials, North Carolina State University
- 2009- Adjunct Professor Universidade Federal do Amazones, Facultad de Tecnologia, Manaus, Brazil
- 2003-2006 Assistant Professor, Dept. Forest Biomaterials, North Carolina State University
- 1998-2003 Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering Dept., Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida (Venezuela).
- 1993-1998 Adjunct Professor, Chemical Engineering Dept., Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida (Venezuela).
- 1990-1993 Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering Dept., Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida (Venezuela).
- 1987-1990 Instructor, Chemical Engineering Dept., Universidad de Los Andes, Mérida (Venezuela).
- 1986-1987 Research Assistant, Organization of American States - National Forest Products Laboratory, Mérida (Venezuela).
- SC Johnson & Sons (Racine, WI), 2008-: Adsorption of polymers and surfactnats.
- Akzo Nobel (Stockholm, Sweden), 2003: Formulation of Fuel Emulsions.
- DSM Resins (Zwolle, Holanda), 2001: Emulsion Technology.
- Molecular Dynamics (Amersham Pharmacia Biotech, San Francisco), November 2001 and December 2002. Factors Influencing Polymer Adsorption at S/L Interfaces and assessment of polymer layer on silica surfaces for high-throughput research and development environments with prefabricated microarrays.
- ACO (Sweden), 2002-2003. Study of foaming properties of soap emulsions for cosmetic applications.
- Hessa Chemical, 2000-2001. Production of Polyaluminium Chloride from primary aluminum.
Reduction of foam problems in acid reactor by using surfactant formulations.
- Manufacturas del Papel (MANPA), Maracay, Venezuela. Formulated a proprietary deinking (surfactant) system that is being used since 2001 to present.
- INTEVEP-Petroleos de Venezuela, 1992. Lignin in Drilling muds.
University credit–bearing courses (one semester each):
University credit–bearing courses (distance education and intensive courses):
- B.S. in Ch.E., Dept. Chemical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes, ULA (Venezuela):
Chemistry 11; Mass Balance; Energy Balance; Pulp Technology; Paper Technology; Pulp and Paper Laboratory; Unit Operations II (heat transfer); Unit Operations I Laboratory; Unit Operations II Laboratory; Surfactants (co-Instructor with Prof. Jean Louis Salager).
- B.S. Forest Engineering, School of Forestry and Environmental Sciences, Universidad de Los Andes (Venezuela): Mass Balance.
- B.S. Pulp and Paper Science and Engineering, Department of Forest Biomaterials, NCSU: Process Design and Analysis, Fundamentals of Biomaterials Science, Biomaterials Characterization, Interfacial Phenomena in Dispersed Systems, Forest Products Colloids & Surfaces, Paper Properties,
- M.Sc. Pulp & Paper Sci. & Eng. (NCSU) and Chemical Engineering (ULA):
Transport Phenomena; Advanced Unit Operations; Pulp And Paper Process Analysis.
Extension courses to Industry (one-day to one-week duration):
- M.S. Pulp and Paper, University of Quebec at Trois-Rivieres (UQTR, Canada): Wet-End Chemistry (co-instructor with Prof. Ronald Neuman, Auburn University); Paper Recycling (co-instructor with Prof. Michel Barbe, University of Quebec).
- M.S. Process Engineering, Dept. Chemical Engineering, Universidad de Los Andes (Venezuela): Thermodynamics (co-instructor with Prof. Iraides Belandria); Degrees of Freedom and Design in Process Engineering; Mass and Energy Balance.
- More than 20 different courses (many of them given more than once) in-company or as guest lecturer in Sweden, Holland, Colombia, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, USA and Venezuela. Main topics include: Polymer Adsorption; Emulsions - Formulation and Properties; SAD (Surfactant Affinity Difference) and Emulsification Technology; Dispersed Systems; Rheology; Wet-end Chemistry; Paper Sizing; Deinking and Pulp and Paper Technology.
Supervision of theses in topics related to surface and colloid science, polymers and fiber technology:
- Postdoctoral fellows supervised: 17
- Chair or co-chair of Ph.D. students: 42
- Visiting scientists hosted: 49
- MSc:13 Theses in Chemical Engineering (Universidad de Los Andes), Pulp and Paper Sciences (University of Quebec, Canada), Forest Biomaterials (NC State) and Chemical Engineering (KTH, Stockholm).
- BSc:18 Theses in Chemical Engineering (Universidad de Los Andes)
- Undergraduate reseaerch students advised: 37
- Associate Editor "Journal Surfactants & Detergents", 2008–
- Member International editorial board of "Bioresources", 2008-
- Member Editorial Board of the journal "O’Papel" (2006–present)
- Associate Editor of the Journal “Investigación Agraria, Sistemas y Recursos Forestales” (2009-)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journal “Ciencia e Ingeniería” (1999–present)
- Editor of “Celulosa y Papel de Venezuela” (1988–1993)
- Referee for the following scientific journals:
Separation Science and Technology, Langmuir, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology,
International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Colloids and Surfaces A and B: Biointerfaces, Journal of the American Chemical Society,
Biomacromolecules, Chemical Engineering Communications, Process Biochemistry, Cellulose, Holzforschung, O’Papel, Bioresources,
International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Journal of Industrial Textiles,
I&EC Research, Journal of Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering Communications, Journal Surface and Interface Analysis,
Journal of Microscopy