- As part of the prelab they'll ask you do download and install
some configuration files. Don't do that - their files don't work on
our setup - we have already installed the correct files in the proper
directories, so skip that step.
- Make sure you kill any dhclient and DHCP servers you may have
left active since last lab: the dhclient overwrites /etc/resolv.conf
(which is key in this lab) without any warning.
- In this lab you'll start, stop and restart the name daemon
(named) several times. In our version of RedHat the service
is setup right and it can be started, stopped and restarted the
clean way (i.e., there is no need for pkill):
PC1# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start
PC1# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named stop
PC1# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart
- For Part 2, Exercise 2, Step 1, on the sixth line
of /etc/hosts there is a typo: the IP address for PC3--
should be 10.0.1.31 not 10.0.1.32.
- In Part 5, Step 2(C) the caching DNS server may not work
with an empty /etc/resolv.conf. If this is the case, make
the localhost the DNS server (include nameserver 127.0.0.1
- In Part 6, Exercise 6(C) use R3.lab9.net instead of R3.lab8.net
- Hint: All pings in 6(C) should succeed. If they don't,
something is wrong - use the Ethereal trace (use either a capture or
a display filter for DNS packets only) to figure out which server is
not running (correctly) and see why.