skip to content
Dr. Joseph C. Neal —
- Department of Horticultural Science
- North Carolina State University
- Raleigh, NC 27695
- Ph.D., 1984 - North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Horticultural Science
- M.S., 1981 - Clemson University, Clemson, SC, Horticulture
- B.S., 1978 - University of Georgia, Athens, GA, Horticulture
Previous Professional Experience
- 11/84 to 9/96: Assistant and Associate Professor of Weed Science, Department of Floriculture and Ornamental Horticulture, Cornell University
- 9/96 to present: Professor and Extension Specialist, Department of Horticultural Science, North Carolina State University
Current Professional Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include: research and extension education for weed management systems in nursery crops, urban landscapes and Christmas trees. Research interests include integrated weed management, biological control of weeds, biology and management of invasive weeds. Outreach education programs emphasize curriculum-based educational programs.
Scholarly and Professional Honors
- 1990 Tools in Teaching award from Epsilon Sigma Phi, Lambda Chapter - The Cooperative Extension Honorary Society.
- 1993 Northeastern Weed Science Society Award for "Outstanding Applied Research in Turf, Ornamentals, or Conservation Acreage".
- 1997 Outstanding Extension Publication Award from Epsilon Sigma Phi, Lambda Chapter
- 1998 Educational Materials Award –American Society for Horticultural Science
- 2004 Distinguished Member – Northeastern Weed Science Society
- 2006 Distinguished Service Award – Amer. Soc. for Horticultural Sci, Nursery Working Group
- 2006 Outstanding Extension Publication Award – Amer. Soc. for Hort Sci, Extension Division
- 2008 Porter Henegar Award -- Southern Nursery Association
- 2009 Outstanding Researcher Award -- Northeastern Weed Science Society
- 2009 Educational Materials Award -- American Society for Horticultural Science
Professional Society Memberships & Service:
- American Society for Horticultural Science International Bioherbicide Group (IBG)-- IXth IBG Workshop organizing committee chair 2009
- Northeastern Weed Science Society: Graduate student presentation judging committee, 1998-2004; Nominating committee, 1989, 1991, 1992 (chair); Chair, resolutions committee, 1990; Executive committee, 1993-1998; Editor, 1993 – 1994; Vice President and program chair, 1995; President-Elect, 1996; President, 1997; Awards committee, 1998-2003; Chair, biological control section, 2000
- North Carolina Exotic Pest Plant Council: Organizing committee 2000-2001; Nominating committee 2001; Vice-President 2004
- Southern Nurserymen’s Association Research Conference: Student presentation judge, 1998-1999 (chair); Chair weed control section, 2003-2004
- Weed Science Society of America: Chair, turf and ornamentals section, 1990; Chair, biocontrol section, 2000; Chair, symposium committee: Fate of Herbicides Applied to Turf and Ornamentals, 1992; Awards committee 2003-2006; Board of Directors 2006-2010; Chair Biocontrol committee 2006-2008
- Development of a prototype digital weed identification tool (Weed IT) for use online or in the field via personal digital assistants (PDAs) or smartphones. (w/ A. Krings) NCSU Univ. Outreach and Engagement Grant $10,000; SR-IPM enhancement grant $25,000
- Development of an invasive assessment protocol for NC. NC Nursery and Landscape Association $36,000
- Nursery IPM Mobile App. (with Fulcher et al). SR-IPM enhancement grant $25,000
- Bio-based control of broadleaf weeds in turf and landscapes. USDA-IR-4 BioPesticide Program, Marrone BioSciences, Neudorff Co, and The Scotts Co: $59,000
Refereed Journal Articles: 48; Reviewed Proceedings Papers: 5; Abstracts of Presentations at Scientific Conferences: 168; Books: 1 (Weeds of the Northeast); Book Chapters: 4; Reviewed and edited Extension Bulletins: 8; Extension newsletter articles and fact sheets: 40; Popular press: 24
- Chaired: 4 Ph.D., 8 M.S.
- Advisory Committees: 5 Ph.D.; 7 M.S.
- Fulcher, A;. Klingeman; Juang-Horng Chong; LeBude;. Armel; Chappell; Frank;. Hale; Neal; White; Williams-Woodward; Ivors; Adkins; Senesac; Windham. 2012. Stakeholder Vision of Future Direction and Strategies for Southeastern U.S. Nursery Pest Research and Extension Programming. Journal of Integrated Pest Management 3(2):D1-D8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1603/IPM11030
- Post, A. R., R. Ali, A. Krings, Qui-Yun (Jenny) Xiang, B. R. Sosinski and J. C. Neal. 2011. On the identity of the weedy Cardamine (Brassicaceae) species in United States nurseries: Evidence from molecules and morphology. Weed Science WeedScience 59:123-135
- Walker, L.H., J.C. Neal and J.Derr. 2010. Preemergence control of doveweed (Murdannia nudiflora) in container grown nursery crops. J. Environ. Hort. 28(1):8-12
- LeBude, A., B. L. Upchurch, and J. C. Neal. 2009. Preemergence Herbicide Applications to Six Containerized Woody Ornamental Rootstocks do not Affect Winter Grafting Success. J. Environ. Hort. 27(2):119-122.
- LeBude, A., T. Bilderback, J. Neal, and C. Safeley. 2008. Best Management Practices for Field Nurseries. NC Assoc. of Nurserymen, Raleigh.
- Neal, J. C. and J. F. Derr. 2005. Weeds of container nurseries in the United States. NC Nurserymen’s Assoc. 16 p
- Judge,C. A. and J. C. Neal. 2006. Early postemergence control of nursery weeds with Broadstar, OH2 and Snapshot TG. J. Environ. Hort. 24(2):105-108
- Penny, G.M. and J. C. Neal. 2003. Germination of mulberry weed (Fatoua villosa) as affected by light, planting depth, mulching and temperature. Weed Technology 17:213-218.
- Uva, R. H., J. C. Neal and J. M. DiTomaso. 1997. Weeds of the Northeast. Cornell University Press, New York. 396pp.