skip to content
Dr. Joseph C. Neal —
Department of Horticultural Science
262 Kilgore Hall, Campus Box 7609
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7609
Extension and research responsibilities for weed management in nursery crops, Christmas tree production, and landscape plantings. Research interests include: herbicide safety and efficacy in woody and herbaceous perennial plant production and maintenance, optimizing herbicide use patterns for effective weed control and environmental stewardship, ecology of weeds in soilless media and urban landscapes, integrated weed and ground cover management systems, and alternatives to traditional herbicides including plant pathogens for biological control of weeds.
- Ph.D., 1984, North Carolina State University
- M.S., 1981, Clemson University
- B.S,. 1978, University of Georgia
- Applying granular herbicides in container nurseries uniformly and acurately. Granular herbicide applications with "belly grinder" spreaders is a challenge and in herently variable. This fact sheet provides guidelines for how to use this equipment for the best possible herbicide application. And some common mistakes to avoid over- or under-dosing.
- Herbicide injury symptoms and diagnosis fact sheets **NEW** Information and photographs of herbicide injury symptoms on ornamental plants and other horticultural crops
- Herbicide Information Fact Sheets information about PRE herbicides labeled for use in nursery or landscape settings. New fact sheets are being added as fast as we can get them completed.
- Preemergence herbicide efficacy - summary chart, Revised January 2015 Ranking the effiacy of preemergence herbicides on most weeds of nursery and landscape plantings.
- Postergence Herbicides for Woody Ornamentals, revised 2013 Listings of postemergence herbicides labeled for use over or around woody ornamental plantings.
- On-Line Weed ID -- Weeds of Container Nurseries (link) An on-line multi-character key for the identification of common weeds of container nurseries. Includes infomration about the biology and control of each species.
- Preemergence Herbicides for Woody Ornamentals revised 2016
- Preemergence Herbicides for Herbaceous Ornamentals revised 2012
- IPM for Shrubs in Southeastern US Nursery Production: Vol I (link)
- Weed and Ground cover management in field Nursery Production in: IPM for Select Deciduous Trees
- Invasive Species Assessment for NC Nursery Crops -- DRAFT An assessment system to assess the invasive potential of plants used for ornamental plantings.
- Weed Identification request form - don't know what it is? Here i show to send a sample for identification
Weed Management Fact Sheets
- Weed management in Landscapes (WeedFacts #5)
- Postemergence control of weedy grasses (link)
- Controlling sedges in landscape plantings (link)
- Herbicide dose calculations for landscape "islands" (link)
- Weed control in perennials (link)
- Weed management in annual color beds (link)
- Japanese stilgrass idenficatoin and managemen (link to pdf )
- Weed control in greenhouses and similar structures (link to fact sheet)
- Postemergence, non-selective herbicides for landscapes and nurseries (link to fact sheet)
- Bamboo control
- Sabbatical Leave Report - biological control of weeds and Weed management in Austrailian nurseries and cut flower production
- IXth IBG Workshop