skip to content
Dr. Joseph C. Neal —
Department of Horticultural Science
262 Kilgore Hall, Campus Box 7609
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7609
Extension and research responsibilities for weed management in nursery crops, Christmas tree production, and landscape plantings. Research interests include: herbicide safety and efficacy in woody and herbaceous perennial plant production and maintenance, optimizing herbicide use patterns for effective weed control and environmental stewardship, ecology of weeds in soilless media and urban landscapes, integrated weed and ground cover management systems, and alternatives to traditional herbicides including plant pathogens for biological control of weeds.
- Ph.D., 1984, North Carolina State University
- M.S., 1981, Clemson University
- B.S,. 1978, University of Georgia
Summer Job Announcement
- 2015 research projects will focus on cost-efficiencies in nursery weed control programs, natural products for weed control in ornamental plantings, weed management strategies in hydrangea and ornamental grass production. Opportunities for independent research are available and encouraged.See attached Job Announcement for the details.
- Herbicide Information Fact Sheets information about PRE herbicides labeled for use in nursery or landscape settings. New fact sheets are being added as fast as we can get them completed.
- Preemergence herbicide efficacy - summary chart, Revised January 2015
- Postergence Herbicides for Woody Ornamentals, revised 2013
- On-Line Weed ID -- Weeds of Container Nurseries (link)
- Preemergence Herbicides for Woody Ornamentals revised 2014
- Preemergence Herbicides for Herbaceous Ornamentals revised 2012
- Invasive Species Assessment for NC Nursery Crops -- DRAFT