Time and Place: MWF 9:10-10:00am, 1218 SAS Hall
Instructor: Prof. Ilse Ipsen
4234 SAS Hall, 515-3399
email: ipsen at dot ncsu dot edu
office hours: MF 10-11am, and by appointment
Webpage for MA580/CSC580:
Prerequisites: MA405; MA425 or MA511; high-level computer language
Topics: Linear systems, least squares, singular value decomposition, eigenvalue decompositions,
sensitivity and perturbation theory, numerical stability of algorithms
- IEEE Standard for Binary Floating Point Arithmetic
- Ilse Ipsen and Carl Meyer: The Idea Behind Krylov Methods, 1998
Amer. Math. Monthly, vol. 105, no. 10, pp 889-899
- Weekly assignments
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- No hand-written homeworks. Please typeset homeworks with LATEX.
- Collaboration in teams is encouraged.
- 2 Midterms: 6 February and 18 March 2015
- Final: 8am on 4 May 2015
- No collaboration on exams.
- Homeworks: 30%
- Best of 2 midterm exams: 35%
- Final exam: 35%
- A+: 96-100%, A: 90-95%, B+: 86-89%, B:80-85%, C: 65-79%