Mini-Encyclopedia of Papermaking Wet-End Chemistry
Part Two: Definitions and Concepts

Wet End

The "wet end" of a paper machine is a general term for parts of the system that involve a slurry of fibers, fillers, and other additives. When looking at a paper machine it is easy to identify the "dry end" where a roll of paper is being formed. The rough dividing line between the wet end and the dry end is often drawn at the wet-press section, the last place in which water is pulled from the wet web of paper. One exception to this rule is the size press; because size press treatments can be closely related to what happens in the wet end, it is common that both subjects be considered in the same book or course. The beginning of the wet end is even harder to define. As a practical matter it may make sense to draw the line at the main refiner system, since most papermaking chemicals are added after that point.

Request from the webmaster: Our goals include brevity and accuracy. Hopefully we have succeeded with the first goal without sacrificing the second. Please let us know right away if you find an error or omition. Also, please indicate points that need a clearer description.


Home page Research opportunities Business opportunities Background information Links to wet-end chemistry E-Mail
This page is maintained by Martin hubbe, Associate Professor of Wood and Paper Science, NC State University, .