Review Questions, Partial Exam 4
(Note: in reviewing for the cumulative exam, review questions from all four partial exams, as well as the exams themselves)
1. What are tradeoffs in the evolution of characteristics
that are distinctly human?
2. Here is an example of a previous exam question:
Defend or refute: 'Since divergence from ancestors that became chimps, homonid evolution has been characterized by numerous speciation and extinction events.'
3. What are keystone species? How do top-down and bottom-up interactions regulate communities?
4. What are the genetic and demographic factors that affect small populations? What are the implications of these factors for conservation of endangered species?
5. Why are there more species in the tropics than in the temperate zone? Think of a number of factors that affect biodiversity; what is the relationship between that factor and the number of species?
6. What are the implications of island biogeography for
conservation of fragmented landscapes?
7. What is the difference between primary and secondary
succession? How do interactions among species influence the
trajectory of succession?
8. What is the difference between endogenous and exogenous
disturbance? Briefly, what are the effects of disturbances
9. What are characteristics of invasive species? What
are characteristics of ecosystems that are easily invaded?
10. What determines the level of primary productivity?
What is the relationship between the levels of factors that
affect primary productivity and the rate of primary production?
11. What determines the rate of decomposition? What
is the relationship between the levels of these factors and the
rate of decomposition?
12. In question 5, we're interested in how various factors
affect biodiversity. Yet, biodiversity may affect any number
of environmental/ecological factors. How does biodiversity
13. What types of pollution affect communities and
ecosystems, and how do they affect communities and ecosystems?
14. How has the environment determined the size and spread
of the human population over the past 10,000 years?