BIO 360 Ecology
Review Questions, Exam 3
1. In spatial ecology, what characteristics of patches affect
population size or occupancy? What are approaches to
conservation in fragmented landscapes?
2. What evolutionary tradeoffs do diseases face? How do
diseases modify their host's behaviors to promote their
3. How can predators and their prey coexist? How can two
competing species coexist? (alternatively, why might these
interacting species be expected not to exist together?)
4. What is biocontrol? What are important
characteristics of biocontrol organisms that are introduced to
control pest populations?
5. How do we modify the exponential growth equation to
represent effects of predators and prey on each other in
mathematical models? How can the outcomes of predator-prey
intercations be analyzed graphically?
6. Make sure to understand the difference between exploitative
and interference competition, as well as between inter- and
7. How do we modify the logistic equation to represent effects
of competitors on each other in mathematical models? How can
the outcomes of competition be analyzed graphically?
8. What is coevolution? What are examples of
9. What are the three classes of mutualisms? Name
examples of each.
10. What are characteristics of invasive species? What
are characteristics of ecosystems that are easily invaded?