George Hess @ NC State University
Graduate Students - Updated 2015 Mar 15
I have no funding available for graduate stipends at the moment and therefore am not accepting any graduate students at this time.

List of current and past graduate students and their research.
Information about basic admission requirements and financial assistance can be found in the Forestry & Environmental Resources Department Graduate Students page.

Undergraduate Advising - Updated 2015 Mar 15

Common Issues

All Students: Do NOT take courses for credit only - they will NOT count toward your degree, and you will have to retake them or take another course for a grade. You must take courses for a grade, including technical and advised electives. The only exceptions are Physical Education, NR301/401, and any course you want and expect to appear in the "non-degree" section of your degree audit. If you are unsure, please ask!

All Students: Basic advising information for each major is available. This information is updated each semester, so please review before you start selecting classes.

Fisheries, Wildlife, & Conservation Biology Students: You may replace summer camp with a combination of two internships or study abroad experiences. Please complete this application for each internship or study abroad before beginning. The following courses are pre-approved and do not require application: the Bahamas, Namibia, and Nicaragua study abroad courses taught by our faculty.

Wildlife Students: Our Wildlife curriculum will qualify you for The Wildlife Society's Associate Wildlife Biologist certification if you take one of the -ologies (mammalogy, ornithology, etc) for your wildlife elective. Animal Behavior will not count for certification. (Read application instructions for detailed requirements.)

Useful Links

Basic advising information for students in each of our department's curricula can be found in the Forestry & Environmental Resources Handbook and in these advising PowerPoint Presentations.

GEP Global Knowledge co-requisite ... will help you figure out which humanities, social science, etc. courses fulfill the global knowledge co-req

GEP US Diversity co-requisite ... will help you figure out which humanities, social science, etc. courses fulfill the US diversity co-req

NCSU's calendars page ... will help you find out when you can register, when semesters begin and end, and when final exams are.

NCSU course equivalancies ... if you took or plan to take a course somewhere else, look here to find the equivalent course at that school.

NCSU Minors ... lists requirements for all minor degrees.

Academic Advising Services ... is also a useful resource.

Other issues?
Give me a call, send me an e-mail, drop by, or make an appointment to visit.

During Advising Periods (mid-March and mid-October)

Electronic Advising

I will advise electronically, if your proposed schedule is straightforward and we have met for advising before.

I will not advise electronically, if we have never met in person or if you have received any kind of academic warning -- please make an appointment for Advising in Person.

If there are some things we need to work out, you can send me a detailed e-mail or make an appointment to visit.
I reserve the right to require a personal visit before releasing your enrollment hold.

Advising in Person

If you've never visited me before, or have received any kind of academic warning, you should make an appointment to see me in person.

If you need extensive help with scheduling, deciding what to take, or anything like that, please make an apointment to see me.

Otherwise, you can probably take care of advising electronically -- see instructions for Electronic Advising. Of course, you are always welcome to visit in person!!
If you can't make any of the times, please contact me and we'll work something out.

Teaching | Research | Advising | CV | Cycling | Photography
Home Page
Frequent Links
Office Schedule
My Blog
Twitter Presence

George R. Hess | Department of Forestry & Environmental Resources | NC State University | Raleigh NC 27695-8008 USA | 919.515.7437 |

the material located at this site is not endorsed, sponsored or provided by or on behalf of north carolina state university