Community Problems and Solutions
a product of the
National Science Foundation
Sampling Methods for Optimization and Control of Subsurface Flows:
These problems come from
Optimal Design for Problems Involving Flow and Transport
Phenomena in Subsurface Systems,
A. S. Mayer, C. T. Kelley, and C. T. Miller,
Advances in Water Resources, 12, 2002, 1233-1256.
The problems are fully described in the
electronic supplement to the article.
"A Comparison of Derivative-Free Optimization Methods
for Groundwater Supply and Hydraulic Capture Problems",
K. R. Fowler, J. P. Reese, C. E. Kees, J. E. Dennis, C. T. Kelley, C. T.
Miller, C. Audet, A. J. Booker, G. Couture, R. W. Darwin, M. W. Farthing,
D. E. Finkel, J. M. Gablonsky, G. Gray, and T. G. Kolda
Advances in Water Resources, 31, 2008, 743-757.
Other Publications on the Community Problems
Objective: provide a suite of optimization problems and solutions where
- Problems are implemented with standard simulators.
- All files, except the simulators, are packaged together. These include
- Data files and codes for the problems.
- Codes for the optimizers.
- Directions for finding and installing the simulators.
- Results from our computations.
- Your choice of parallel (MPI) or serial versions.
In the parallel version, the optimizer calls many copies of
the simulator in parallel. Internal parallelism
for the simulators will come later.
- Well Field Design: tar.gz files
3D confined homogeneous aquifer:
3D unconfined homogeneous aquifer:
- Hydraulic Capture problem:
IBM SP with MPI
- Optimization codes:
Last modified: July 23, 1999