email: arattari--at--unity--dot--ncsu--edu (picture); current CV (pdf).
tenth (!) semester phd student currently and formerly entrenched in:
applied mathematics, department of physical and mathematical sciences
electrical engineering, department of electrical and computer engineering (graduated whoohoo!)
north carolina state university
certificate, documentary studies: photography, center for documentary studies
duke university (link)
one day, i will make this webpage very pretty. one day.
current and past research activities/publications (most recent/current listed first -- for the most complete list please read my CV!
current interest areas
optimization and control; nonlinear equations
My benevolent research advisor, Dr. H. T. Tran.
- Here is my ICIAM preso from this year in Vancouver.
- Computational Design of Asymmetric Electron Beam Devices, 2009.
- With Ives, R.L., Thuc Bui Read, M., David J., Tran H., et al. Appears in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, soon to press. DOI: 10.1109/TED.2009.2015421.
- Computer optimized design of electron guns.
- With Ives, R.L., Thuc Bui Read, M., David J., Tran H. Appears in Vacuum Electronics Conference, 2008. IVEC 2008. DOI: 10.1109/IVELEC.2008.4556399.
- Subset Selection for Parameter Estimation in an HIV Model
Implementation of computer optimization for design of electron guns.
Feasibility of Metabolic Parameter Estimation in Pharmocokinetic Models of Carbon Tetrachloride Exposure in Rats.
- With H.T. Tran and Martin Fink, University of Oxford. Published in Proceedings in Applied Mathematics and Mechanics. Nov 2007. DOI: 10.1002/pamm.200700319
A Hybrid Optimization Approach for the Optimal Design of Traveling Wave Tubes. This is the project that won't go away, though I'm having to have it wrapped in the next few weeks.
- With B. Draper, D. Marcin, A. Margolskee, R. Murden, M.V. Evans, and K. A. Yokley. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, accepted.
The Fesability of Illuminant Estimation in Hyperspectral Images and Datasets. (poster)
- Presented at the 2007 Joint Mathematics Meeting in New Orleans, LA and the SIAM Meeting on Computational Mathematics and Engineering in Costa Mesa, CA. Winner: Best Poster (Joint Mathematics Meeting)
Real Time 3D Facial Detection and Reconginition Systems (senior design project). Advisor: Dr. H. Krim, VISSTA Research Group.
i believe in documentary: documentary photography and video
- Advisor: H.J Trussell. Winner: Best Poster, ECE Undergrad Research Symposium. Winner: Best Research in Engineerng and Technology, NCSU Undergrad Research Symposium.
files from the REU: Automatic Differentiation and Sensitivity Analysis
- Positive Transitions: Documenting the lives of HIV+ Individuals in my area, Spring 2006
- This was my capstone project at the Center for Documentary Studies.
- Downtown and Underground: Another look at AAA Check Cashing and Bail Bonding, Fall 2005
- 24.7: AAA Check Cashing and Bail Bonding, Fall 2004 (statement)
- In 2004 I spent a year working with AAA Check Cashing and Bail Boinding in downtown Raleigh. I would shoot to about 2AM most weekends...it was a wild time. I created two bodies of work: a black and white portfolio and a color portfolio.
- Streaming Landscapes: Downtown Raleigh, Spring 2005
- You know, your standard urban landscape/decay portfolio. It just so happens to my backyard.
- The Nature of Self, Spring 2004
- A portraiture project of the people who were in my life at the time.
- From when I was learning to shoot...
- old school: The Kids Are Alright (Emmy Nominated), 2002 (21:18, google video link)
- Produced my senior year at Enloe, this thing still has a life of its own and it blows me away. The Independent in Raleigh called the movie a "heartening, piercing glimpse into the lives of the teenagers."
- slightly less old school: The Joy of Being Mary, Spring 2004 (10:18, youtube link)
- A ten minute biopic documenting North Carolina's most prolific underground drag queen.
(current) things other math and engineering students may find useful
- tssolve.m: the relative and general sensitivity solver. along with the manual.
- the abridged matlab crash course -- pdf, tex.
- matlab questions -- pdf, tex.
- sensitivity analysis, AD, and subset selection -- pdf, tex.
(legacy) things other math and engineering students may find useful
- We wrote up all of our MA 515 functional analysis notes. Wow. Everything from norm spaces, completeness, function spaces, Hahn-Banach thorems, everything.
- A summary of Lyapunov stability results. This is from optimal control MA 731, and summarizes the results of LTI systems, nonlinear systems, how to use Lyapunov functions.
- (Selected) Modeling Projects from MA 573. This is some cool stuff.
- The official MATLAB Crash Course. I wrote this 18 page LaTeX document for the 2007 summer REU. Assumes no MATLAB experience and covers ODE solvers, optimization, linear algebra problems, least squares curve fitting, and the inverse problem. A good getting started guide to MATLAB (I have since updated this. Email for the most recent copy).
- Sensitivity Analysis and Automatic Differentiation. I wrote a tutorial on how to use Martin Fink's myAD code to perform classical and general sensitivity analysis on any compartment ODE model. There is an error in equation (3): the normalizing term should be under the square.
- Summary of the first third of Multivariabe Real Analysis.
- The second third of Multivariabe Real Analysis.
- The last third of Advanced Multivariable Calculus.
- fftplot.m: produces meaningful plots of an DFT/FFT, assuming you know the sampling frequency. For most homework problems
you would, so this script does all of the math for you. Very useful in ECE 301, 402, 420, 421, and 422. I can't believe I took all of those classes.
papers and projects of interest (mathematical and engineering goodness)
future schedule: spring 12
writing that wonderful disseration!
A man said to the universe: "Sir! I exist"
However, replied the universe
"The fact has not created in me a sense of obligation"
The problems that face us can not be solved with the same level of consciousness that created them.
2009033001; and i love music.