- Each cylinder is first properly packed to a known bulk density
at a specific moisture content.
- The base plate is attached to the cylinder. The unit is placed
into the funnel and the uniti checked to make sure the plate is in the open
- Next the funnels are filled with distilled water in a step-wise
fashion to prevent air entrapment. Once completely filled, the unit is allowed
to equilibrate for 15 minutes (or 1 hour).
- The base plate is carefully closed by rotating the unit by
hand. The water outside the core is allowed to drain from funnels.
- A graduated cylinder is placed under thefunnel. The base plate
is rotated into the open position, and the core allowed to drain for 60
- Water remaining in the sample is determined gravimetrically.
Samples should be dried at 105° C for 24 hours.